Sunday, February 26, 2012

Creative Team Interview #1: Set Designer, Michael Minahan for THREE SISTERS

Welcome to our exciting series of interviews, where you can get to know the cast & creative team in our production of Three Sisters -- an adaptation by Brian Friel of Anton Chekhov's classic story.

Three Sisters runs March 9-25, 2012, Wed-Sat at 7:30pm; Sat & Sun at 2pm in New York City.

For tickets, please click here.

For more info about The Seeing Place, click here.

Your Name:
Michael Minahan

Role in this Production:
Set Designer

How long have you been designing?
I went into college without a real knowledge of what it means to be a set designer. I knew I liked to be in plays and work with a team to create a production. I wanted to be a painter or an architect.. I was recruited to paint the "court" scene for AS YOU LIKE IT. It was a sliding panel recreation of one of the pages from the Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry from the 15th century. I was immediately hooked. I ended up transferring to the University of Cincinnati (CCM) to study set design in a conservatory environment.

How long have you been in NYC?
This time around, 1 year come April.

Where are you from originally?
Charleston, South Caroline, via central Jersey.

What's been your favorite design, to date?
My first real sole design project was for a world premiere opera at CCM called MEMORY GAME. It was a kind of sunken Star of David in the center of the stage (with audience on 2 sides). This remains for me one of my most honest and thrilling designs. I guess you never forget your first time.

What's your experience with Chekhov?
Painting many versions of trees, orchards, and delicately aged wood furniture!

What's been the most challenging thing about preparing for this project?
As the set designer for a show with limited resources it is always challenging to distill the design objective down to a simple and concise stroke - though this should always be a goal whether you have $10 or $10,000,000. I am excited to be collaborating with a group as COMPANY oriented as The Seeing Place.

To learn more about Michael, visit his website at www.minahandesign.com.

1 comment:

  1. I love the model photo, Michael. It really shows your artistry and commitment to the project. I can't wait to see how it is realized for this particular production!

    ReplyDelete

We're so passionate about creating a conversation in our community - thank you for leaving your thoughts!