Sunday, February 16, 2014

Introducing Adam Reich, Director on DYING CITY

As a special feature on opening week, we're excited to introduce you to our cast and creative team, who talked with us about their life as actors and their experience of creating the world of DYING CITY.

DYING CITY opens February 21 and runs through March 9 - Wed-Sat at 7pm and Sat-Sun at 2pm. For tickets and information, click here

Introducing: Adam Reich, who is our director for DYING CITY. Here is his first-hand account of his life as an actor & director, and his perspective on working with this production.

Full given name: 
Adam Reich

Where you were born/where you were raised:
I was born at Cedars-Sinai and raised in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, California.

Zodiac Sign:
Capricorn

What your parents did/do for a living:
Dad - Attorney for the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement for the state of California

Mom - Stenographer, currently aiding the deaf in universities, colleges, high schools and other educational institutions throughout Southern California

Siblings:
One badass younger sister, Shayna.

Favorite food of all time:
Chocolate. That's a food, right?

Special skills:
I make a hell of a bowl of steel cut oats.

Something you're REALLY bad at:
Relaxing before takeoff. Or dental work.

If you could go back in time and catch any Broadway or Off Broadway show, what would it be?:
Guess right now I’m wishin’ I could go back and see that ’12 Salesman again. Or the Delacorte Seagull I missed… I’m still mourning.

Did you have any particular mentors or inspirations as a young actor?:
Mr. Protho, my 6th grade history/science teacher, was probably my biggest inspiration when I was a kid. Standing at 6 foot 4 and addicted to V8, Mr. Protho was a passionate actor himself, and he brought a whole bunch of us youngsters under his wing, teaching us Shakespeare and Homer— I was shocked a non-animated one existed— and many others. He told me I should keep going with my acting stuff. And being young and naive, I listened. I think it changed my life.

What age did you start acting, and what was the project:
It all began when I was 5. I took a cute little acting class at Pierce Community College that was being taught by a woman named Gloria Watts. She had me play the Big Bad Wolf. And I blew a few houses down.

Current show other than your own you have been recommending to friends:
Anything Rylance, of course. Saw Richard thrice. I really liked the Saint Joan over at the Redgrave.

Favorite plays:
How do you choose?! I’ll just name a few. I’m a huge admirer of Shakespeare’s work. Like, all of it. And Chekhov in general.. love Vanya. I’m always looking forward to the next McDonough. Long Day’s Journey. Beckett.. I love Krapp’s Last Tape.. Threepenny Opera. Doubt. All In the Timing. Well, that’s it for now.

Most embarrassing moment on stage:
Oh God!! Was it the night my pants dramatically and irreparably ripped open mid-scene and I did the whole 30-minute act in my boxers? Or the night I forgot my sword off stage even though I was supposed to kill someone in a duel? Or perhaps it was the night I was supposed to read a long letter out loud during an important scene only to discover on stage that the prop person had not put the letter in the envelope that night… Ugh! Not fun reliving this. :)

What's your favorite part about being a part of The Seeing Place?:
I always value any opportunity I get to work artistically with like-minded artists, teasing and fleshing out the deeper meanings behind the words of great playwrights and attempting to bring some small truth to the stage. I am glad that I’ve had that opportunity here.

What most excites you about your involvement with DYING CITY?:
DYING CITY is a rather labyrinthian piece. It’s very tough to untangle. But of course, I love a challenge. I’ve really enjoyed working with the actors, like we’re a team of investigators on the hunt for a murderer, scrutinizing each little clue that Shinn provides to get at the heart of who these tortured people are and what they are truly seeking.

***

Adam Reich most recently produced OTHELLO for the Kinetic Theater Ensemble, of which he is a founding member. At the age of 10, he started directing short films after finding the perfect lead actress, his badass 3-year-old sister Shayna. Since then he has worked behind the camera for the DGA, the USC SHOAH Foundation and the Academy of Television. An NYU Tisch drama grad, Adam has performed in theaters all over New York City, including BAM, The Public, The Cherry Lane, and New World Stages, and has acted with The Seeing Place on two previous occasions. www.adamreich.com

DYING CITY opens February 21 and runs through March 9 - Wed-Sat at 7pm and Sat-Sun at 2pm. For tickets and information, click here

It runs in repertory with TWO ROOMS, which runs at 9pm and 4pm on the same dates. For tickets and information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're so passionate about creating a conversation in our community - thank you for leaving your thoughts!