Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cast Interview: Philip Lakin in A LIE OF THE MIND


Your Name:
Philip Lakin

Role in this production:
Mike

What's been your favorite role, to date?
All bias aside, I have to say that playing Mike in A LIE OF THE MIND has been my favorite role to date.  It is some of the hardest and most detailed work I have ever done on a character.  His journey throughout the play is so interesting because his tries so hard to restore order in an insane world, that it drives him insane.  Telling his story night after night never gets boring.

What's the wackiest experience you've ever had onstage?
Trying to do a serious piece based on HAMLET while a Jazz concert was going on in the venue below. The music bled through so much, it was like we had our own live orchestra.  Obviously it  was a huge challenge and disrupted the show, but some moments randomly worked really well with the show.

What's been the most challenging thing about preparing for this role?
Not having blocking, not having blocking, and, oh yeah, not having blocking.  (But I'm getting better with it).

What's been the most exciting thing about the rehearsal process?
The breakthroughs I had in regards to "speaking out."  It seemed so strange and foreign at first, but after a wile it really started to help me get closer to my role.

What parts of yourself are similar to the character?
 His deep love for his family and his stubbornness (to a degree). 

What's next for you (with The Seeing Place, or other)?
Playing Rosencrantz in ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD with The Seeing Place.  I have wanted to perform this show since the day I heard my acting teacher talk about it in High School, so I am pretty excited.


A LIE OF THE MIND runs March 1-17, 2013
Wed-Sat at 7pm;  Sat & Sun at 2pm, in New York City.
For tickets, click here.

For more info about The Seeing Place, click here.
To donate (it's a worthy cause!), click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're so passionate about creating a conversation in our community - thank you for leaving your thoughts!