Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cast Interview #2: Elisa Pupko as "Irina" in THREE SISTERS


Welcome to our exciting series of interviews, where you can get to know the cast & creative team in our production of Three Sisters -- an adaptation by Brian Friel of Anton Chekhov's classic story.

Three Sisters runs March 9-25, 2012, Wed-Sat at 7:30pm; Sat & Sun at 2pm in New York City.

For tickets, please click here.

For more info about The Seeing Place, click here.

Your Name:
Elisa Pupko

Role in this Production:
Irina

How long have you been acting?
Since I can remember, and I have a very good memory! My first play was Hamlet in 4th grade. Yes, you read that right! We had a wonderfully ambitious drama teacher at my elementary school.

How long have you been in NYC?
4 1/2 years - Actually, closing night of this show is my official 4 1/2 year anniversary!

Where are you from originally?
Seattle. And yes, I love coffee.

What's been your favorite role, to date?
Don't make me pick! Ok, I'll say Kate, one of the orphans in Annie. (Don't judge!)

If you could play any role in any play right now, what would it be?
Beth in Little Women or Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, before I look too old.

What's the wackiest experience you've ever had onstage?
The first thing that comes to mind is when I was performing with Taproot Theatre's Road Company in Seattle. We performed shows on social issues to schools all over the Pacific Northwest. This one day we were out in the middle of nowhere and the elementary school's auditorium was literally a giant barn. In one of the last scenes of the play, my character comes out to confront the bully and stand up for her friends. Because we were in a barn there were flies everywhere! Just as I start my big anti-bullying speech a fly lands on the head of girl playing the bully. She starts trying to casually swat it away and it would not budge! This hit my funny bone like nothing else ever has on stage and I started laughing uncontrollably. It was a pretty serious scene, so I turned my laughs into what sounded like uncontrollable sobs. The rest of the cast could not figure out what was happening to me and thought I was literally bawling. After that experience I realized that if I ever start laughing in a scene where it is inappropriate, it can easily be turned into crying.

What's your experience with Chekhov?
Studied the shows in school, seen productions on stage, but this is my first Chekhov role!

What's been the most challenging thing about preparing for this role?
The complexity of the story and layers to each character that Chekhov has so beautifully crafted. It's challenging, but also exhilarating to know that I will be continually discovering new things about Irina each night.

What's been the most exciting thing about the rehearsal process?
Learning a new way to work and being in an ensemble of actors all fully committed to unraveling the layers of this show.

What parts of yourself are similar to the character?
Hmm, I guess the numerous suitors she has trying to woo her. Kidding! (I'm a happily married woman!) I think everyone has a little bit of Irina in them. What she's really after for the whole show is to find what she should do with her life. She is searching for the key to happiness. I can definitely say that I'm always looking at the path my life is on and how I can have it lead to a happy and fulfilling life.

What excites you about THREE SISTERS?
Everything! Is that an acceptable answer? I guess if you want me to be specific, I would say I'm excited to share this story with our audiences.

To learn more about Elisa, visit her website at www.elisapupko.com.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comment about hoping to discover new things about Irina each night. So very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

We're so passionate about creating a conversation in our community - thank you for leaving your thoughts!